Who we are
Civilization is a design practice based in Seattle, WA,* with team members and clients worldwide. We specialize in building identity systems, digital experiences, printed materials, environmental graphics and exhibitions.
Our clients and partners share our commitment to creating a positive impact in the areas of arts, culture, design education, reproductive justice, climate action, architecture, and health equity, among others. Along with our client work, we strive to break down barriers to access in design through our Design Lecture Series and our gallery Non-Breaking Space.
Who we are looking for
Our team is seeking a talented UX Designer skilled at conceiving and conducting user research, interviews and surveys, and translating them into sitemaps, user flows, journey maps, wireframes, and prototypes. The UX Designer will ensure a great user experience and conduct user-testing. This position requires strong design and communication skills and the ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Translate concepts into user flows, wireframes, mockups and prototypes that lead to intuitive user experiences.
- Facilitate the project vision by researching, conceiving, sketching, prototyping and user-testing experiences for digital sites and products
- Design and deliver wireframes, personas, and user journeys optimized for a wide range of devices and interfaces
- Make strategic design and user-experience decisions related to core, and new, functions and features
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g., responsiveness, accessibility)
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Understand technical possibilities, technical workflows, and technical limitations with an emphasis on UX and UI
- Ability to use empathy and psychology of design to help influence user behavior
- Attend and participate in video meetings with internal team and clients
- Willingness to review work-in-progress designs with other creatives often in order to improve quality of design and share feedback on the work of others for the good of the team.
- A portfolio of professional design work with an emphasis on UX design
- 3+ years of experience creating and implementing UX design
- Experience working on projects for external clients
- Can help facilitate workshops and presentations to clients
- Ability to work with clients to understand detailed requirements and design complete user experiences that meet client needs and vision
- Extensive experience in using UX design best practices to design solutions, and an understanding of mobile-first and responsive design
- A solid grasp of user-centered design (UCD), planning and conducting user research, user testing, A/B testing, usability and accessibility concerns
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate design processes, ideas, and solutions to teams and clients
- A clear understanding of the importance of user-centered design and design thinking
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting including synthesizing abstract ideas into concrete design implications
- Be passionate about resolving user pain points through great design
- Be open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism
- Solutions-oriented and collaborative
- Ability to multitask and juggle shifting priorities in a deadline-driven environment
- Excellent communication skills with internal teams and with clients
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Working knowledge of the following technologies and software: Figma, Google Suite. Nice to have: HTML, CSS, and familiarity with WordPress.
Working Conditions & Benefits
We are actively committed to being an anti-racist, equitable, diverse, inclusive, and empathetic organization. Anyone we add to the team should share these values.
- 100% remote position possible. The team is currently working remotely due to COVID-19 but there is an option to return to the Seattle studio when it is safe to do so
- Generous vacation time, PTO, Sick Leave, Family Leave and general flexibility when needed, work/life balance is highly valued
- Insurance Package includes medical, dental, vision, 401k
- The work we do is highly rewarding, we get to work with genuinely interesting people working towards a better and more beautiful world – which we all think is a major perk!
- To apply, please submit a letter of interest and your resume/CV, and online portfolio or PDF to [email protected]. Please have “UX Designer Application – your name” as the email subject.
*We acknowledge that we are on the unceded ancestral lands of the Duwamish People. We honor with gratitude the land itself and the Duwamish Tribe, past and present.